Seven Years

Aug 16, 2009

Cicadas anyone?

Eeeeeewww!!!
So, what I thought was a 3" (no kidding 3 inches long) fly was in fact a cicada, which means that it is a really loud chirping insect somehow related to crickets. As it turns out it is considered a real delicacy by the Chinese...so much for fried rice, mushu pork, and gyoza!

Not only do we have 3" flying cicadas we also have 6-8" centipedes with orange legs!

And "house-centipedes" or "geji" as the Japanese call them - they can actually buy these in pet stores! They eat cockroaches and clothing moths, which is good but since we don't have any of those in our house I hope we never find these either! (It is good to be six stories up).


Last but not least, "Take ashi daka gumo" or the "high leg spider" - don't worry, it doesn't bite people and it doesn't build webs but it does eat cockroaches - so the Japanese don't mind having them around...I definitely would!

I just don't understand why the bugs are so big and the people are so small!

3 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP!!!! I have experienced each of these and hate them equally. Okay, maybe the spider the most. -dayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad you can't really see how big they are in pictures. We encountered a spider exactly like this one, it was the size of Scott's palm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groosss-- Can't you just import a nice house gecko from Hawaii?
    New experiences are great, but somethings you just don't want to get up close and personal with!!!
    Love you!! Mom Pierce

    ReplyDelete